Patrick Joseph Ryan
Date of birth: 12/2/1892, deceased
Date of ordination: 1919
Ryan’s assignment history:
- Associate priest, St. Mary, St. Paul, 1919;
- Associate priest, St. Clement, Minneapolis, 1919-1921;
- Associate priest, St. Stephen, Minneapolis, 1921-1922;
- Associate priest, Immaculate Conception, Faribault, 1922-1933;
- Pastor, St. John, Ortonville (New Ulm), 1933-1943;
- Pastor, Guardian Angels, Hastings, 1943-1965
Diocese or religious order: Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis
Date no longer in ministry: 1965
Current status: Died in 1965
Patrick Joseph Ryan was accused posthumously in 2002 of sexually abusing a minor in 1961, and was consequently included in the list provided to the John Jay Commission. The Archdiocese subsequently met with the complainant and hired a private investigative firm. The firm investigated the matter through more than two dozen conversations and face-to-face meetings with the complainant as well as interviews with more than a dozen persons thought to have information relevant to the claim against Ryan. The private investigative firm reported that “this investigation found no credible, corroborating or supporting information which would validate [the] claim of sexual abuse.” The claim of sexually abusing a minor was never substantiated.
NOTE: We are aware of at least one other Patrick Ryan who is or has been a member of the Catholic clergy serving in our archdiocese at some point in time. For this reason, we wish readers to take great care in identifying this individual so that there may be no confusion about identity.